With all the excitement and food at a tailgate is it possible to practice portion control? As the saying goes “if you fail to plan you plan to fail”. So plan your tailgate using these tips below:
- Stock your cooler with plenty of water. Since we often mistake hunger for thirst, keeping hydrated will help you recognize when you are full.
- You can have your chips and eat them too! Just be sure to bring the pre-portioned bags.
- Veggies are a great vehicle for dip. Try them with guacamole, salsa, hummus and other non mayo based dips.
- Skewers are great for tailgates. Load them up with your favorite meat, veggies, fruit or a combinations of the three.
- Craving sweets? Bake mini muffins or cupcakes and make your cookies bite-sized. Sometimes all you need is a few bites to satisfy your cravings.
- Pack the paper plates! Make sure when snacking at a tailgate to use a plate. If you stay by the food table and pick without using a plate, you can’t visualize how much you have eaten. Studies show that you underestimate the calories consumed by mindless snacking.
- Put the food on your plate and then walk away!
Now you are ready to pack your cooler, put your out your flag and cheer on your team! Be safe and have a healthy weekend!